Love the story, but I'm just not connecting with you main character.
The plot is great, but the voice isn't coming through.
Exciting chapter! But... The character seemed a little flat.
If you have, then a unique voice in your manuscript might be missing!
What should you do?!?
Rewrite the entire novel?
Rewrite all the dialogue?
Rewrite the chapter?
Take a deep breath. And before you hit the delete button, try one of these.
1. After the deep breath, go here. Dig deep and discover your main character. If you have multiple POV characters, you'll need to do this for all of them. Then take another deep breath, drink some coffee (or favorite beverage of choice) and get to work giving your character a voice of their own!
2. If above doesn't help, try a character interview. Here's one. Or make up your own. What do you want to know about your character that your character isn't telling you? Take a couple of days, week, a month to sift through the possibilities. After all, you're the creator!
3. Chat with a trusted critique partner or writing mentor. Have them give your WIP a look-see. Ask for advice.
4. Call your mom. She'll tell you you're awesome.
5. Try, try, try again until you get right. You're the best judge of your work. If you're not satisfied, give it another go! Don't give up!
We love to hear from you! What do you do to deepen character development? Do you have a favorite character chart? Has your WIP voice fallen flat?