Monday, January 6, 2014

Revolutionize Your Resolutions!


snapshot of my hub's Warrior Dash t-shirt!

Since we are Revision Warriors, I’m going to share some tips on writing resolutions, but really, this would work for anything. :) When we make resolutions, we really are making a decision to make or break habits. As writers, writing should be a habit, but things get in the way. Sometimes those are good things and sometimes we're just dreading sitting down for the fear we will have nothing to write!

So...think about what is important to you. And then, what you HAVE to do. When making a goal you need two things: time and determination!!

I’m a list maker, but if you’re not, just take the time to go over your normal day. When you wake up, what you do next, work schedule, etc.... And don't forget weekends! Plan for those crazy days!
After you find those bits of time, really think about what time is best for you! For instance, I'm a night owl and wrote for NaNo mostly after 10pm. But you might be an early bird and waking up at 4 or 5am might sound like heaven to you. (I'd die!) Or, you might only have time to write during your lunch break. But find that time!

Next, think about realistic goals for your writing. It might be that you just want to outline a novel or do some character interviews. Maybe 500 words is all you need to get started in your writing habit. Think about how you can accomplish something. Don't set yourself up for failure. If you only have 30 minutes a day, don't try to write 1,500 words in that time.

Discouragement can be a habit breaker! Watch out and don't be too hard on yourself if you miss your goal for one day. During NaNoWriMo there were days that I couldn't write because of a sick kid or I had a headache. There were days that my brain just couldn't create, so I read a book or watched some TV. I got out in the world and experienced stuff to feed my creative side because I'd been pouring out a story and not putting anything in!

Another great way to motivate yourself is to find people to join your goal! Ask your writer friends, or just friends, or partner to keep you accountable. Share your goals so that people know you want to accomplish something. Get them involved! Share your story with them or talk to them about the characters you love in your story and the characters you hope readers will love to hate! ;)

Believe in yourself!! Make realistic goals, and give yourself some wiggle room to take a day off or week every now and again so you don't burn out!

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/13035/file-13126281-jpg/images/burnt_out-resized-600.jpg

My writer resolutions for 2014 are to query my YA novel before summer and polish up my NaNo book for Beta readers before November! Because I want to write another NaNo novel. :)

What are your resolutions, goals, or new habits you want to make for 2014?

4 comments:

  1. Love your ideas Diane! And congrats again on winning NaNoWriMo, that takes serious discipline and dedication. I'd like to try again next year, which really leads to my goal:

    My biggest goal for 2014 is creating more of a routine for my writing time. I used to try and fit it in when I could throughout the day and life has just gotten too nuts for that. I like the idea of group support too. Accountability is a GREAT motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rina! I know you can do it! With all you did in 2013, 2014 is going to be AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wise words! And I will look right now to see when I can put writing on my schedule and commit to it. It IS important to me. All the best in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Joy! I wish you all the best in 2014 with your writing goals!! You can find the time! :)

    ReplyDelete